• Show
Clear All

I doubt that.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
      I doubt that.
      He was speaking of Civ V (ciV).

-Drachasor
      "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Ah.

Damn you all and your weaving the iteration into the title.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma_Nova
          Less space on the disc for other graphics, the game engine, music, AI scripts, etc.
          And how much space will these take?

Only seen at certain intervals.
          No kidding.

ANNOYING to be disrupted from the flow of a good 0wning binge
          Why, you don't need to pee or eat?
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Back on topic: I think, the most important function of graphics is giving some feedback to the player. Wich terrain am I using? Wich improvements own this city? (I like the Civ3-idea, with harbor and baracks icon showed on map. How about somthing similar for wonders and other buildings?)

Actually I'm not sure if I will like 3D terrain and units, but it gives new potentials.

Videos are less important to me. Hopefully all the gfx will be editable in a simple way.
            Arne · Das Civilization Forum

Comment

I'd rather not have to put in an obsolete disc to see the original Civ4 opening movie like with Civ3.

Unless the game is on DVDROM, I want two discs. Everything that you need the disc in the drive for ( for whatever you're doing with the game, such as main game and scenarios) should be on both. The things you install (for the main game) should be on the first disc. Scenarios would be on disc 2. I don't want to have to switch the disc in the middle of a game.

Comment

Scenerios and stuff like that should be stored on the hard drive. Everything that needs to be stored on the hard drive should be on one disc. That includes the game, graphics, scenerios, civilpedia, etc. (This is how it has been done and should always be done).

Movies and other such stuff would be on Disc Two, which should be the play disc. You'd have the option of putting movies on the hard drive too, of course, but you could play them from the play disc as well.

What's so hard about that? Plenty of room then.

Hmm, on to more important matters...

I certainly think the videos should be decently well done. They don't need to be particularly long, but whatever they have should be memorable [in a good way]. That shouldn't require large amounts of effort. The Civ 2 movies were great like this. Similarly, the end-game movies should give some sense of finality and accomplishment.

That being said, the majority of the attention should be given to unit graphics and map appearence. That is what we will be using most of the time, and that is what should get the most work.

It seems almost everyone agrees on this. Hehe, probably the Devs are already doing this (because they feel the same way, no doubt).

-Drachasor
                "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

I think cities should be displayed on the actual map and spread out as they grow, and when attacked you can see actual buildign being demolished. I think this would make the game so much better. I don't mean it has to be full complx, just nice simple spread and look nice. Different cities should form differently though, those with more space should spread out more, while others in crampt place should build up more. It'd be great to see in the modern times huge smog ridden cities, or cities in the middle of a battle all crumbling etc. I've always wodnered what a bunch of motar fire and ariel attacks would do to a city of skyscrapers....
                  Revolution Gaming - Revolution Technology

Comment

I want to add to the 'list' by pointing out that while I agree 100% that excessive eye candy is uneeded, the 3D engine allows for a level of dyanmism that would great benefit the game.

This includes

1) much more gradual changes and growth in cities on your map. Perhaps some of the 'buildable' wonders will show up on the main map.

2) much more varied cultural styles and civ styles in the way cities look. I always found the culture groups lacking. Americans for example get lumped in with the American culture group, and all their buildings look like the native American cultures.

3) City view. The Civ3 cityview was adequate but each city looked like every other city of the same size with a few minor differences.

A more dynamic city view, built polygonally, would be interesting.

All of these fall under 'eye candy' but little details can make a good game great.
                    AI:C3C Debug Game Report (Part1) :C3C Debug Game Report (Part2)
                    Strategy:The Machiavellian Doctrine
                    Visit my WebsiteMonkey Dew

Comment

dexters: sounds good to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X